Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mark Your Calendars!!


Hey, sisters! Hope you all are enjoying your Summer (wow, what's left of it!) I'm already looking into Fall because I'm so excited about our next activity!!

Tuesday, September 9th we'll be meeting at Kristine Farley's home at 6:30pm for a wonderful class on Food Preservation. This class is for EVERYONE! For those who know some techniques & want to get motivated & those who are ready to learn all about it (that would be ME!).

Sister Farley will discuss:
fresh (cold) storage (root veggies, apples, pumpkins, etc.)
freezing (everything)
dehydrating (herbs, fruits, rollups, veggies & jerky)
canning; (fruit, vegetables, jam, pickles, meats & beans)water bath, steamer canning, pressure canning

From Sister Farley: "We will spend about 10 to 15 min. on each topic & answer questions. As well as have handouts with resources. My hope is to give the sisters what they need to get started & motivated to do, at least some."

NOTE THE GREAT TIMING of this class! This is the best time to can fruits & vegetables in season. Also, our wards' dry pack canning day at the cannery is the following week (the 15th I believe).

We would like a head count on this class so we can be prepared with the materials for each of you. If you plan on attending, please let me know one way or the other so we'll have all the good stuff for ya!

Feel free to post questions to me here & we will find information for you & learn as we go!

Reminder: AND FOR THOSE OF YOU SISTERS who have COMPLETED at least ONE SECTION (ANY section!) of your BLUE BOOK, you will receive a small GIFT from me AND a member of our ward at this activity. So get those books DONE & be ready to come with all your questions about canning!

WE CAN CAN!

4 comments:

emily :) said...

I will be there...count me in! :)

Michelle Wilson said...

I'll be there, too! Thanks so much, Kim, for all the work you put into this. You, too, Kristine!

Tina Smith said...

Hi Kim, I have already started canning beans and Chicken. It is an on going thing so if anyone is interrested in coming to my house and watching the process, have them email me. My next canning date is Thursday, Aug. 14th. I will be doing chicken tenders and Sweet pickles. Thanks Tina Smith

Anderson Family said...

Thanks to both! I'm looking forward to it! :)